IIASA Young Scientists Summer Program
International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis calls application for IIASA Young Scientists Summer Program. It is an opportunity for Ph.D. students to undertake fellowships that will allow them to attend a summer project on a topic related to the IIASA research agenda. Annually, from 1 June to 31 August, IIASA hosts up to 50 doctoral students from around the world in its Young Scientists Summer Program (YSSP).
There are currently nine IIASA research programs carrying out research into the dynamics of global change. These programs use holistic approaches and effective, interdisciplinary collaborations to identify the multiple solutions needed to bring about a global transformation to true sustainability.
From June through August accepted participants work within the Institute’s research programs under the guidance of IIASA scientific staff. Funding is provided through IIASA National Member Organizations.
- Air Quality and Greenhouse Gases
- Advanced Systems Analysis
- Ecosystem Services and Management
- Evolution and Ecology
- Risk and Resilience
- Transitions to New Technologies
- World Population
- Tropical Futures Initiative
- Water Futures and Solutions Initiative
- Challenges and Opportunities of Economic Integration within European and Eurasian Space
- Integrated Solutions for Water, Energy, and Land (ISWEL)
The program is designed for Ph.D. students (ideally about 2 years prior to receiving their PhD) working on a topic compatible with ongoing research at IIASA and a wish to explore the policy implications of their work. Participants will be working under the direct supervision of an experienced IIASA scientist in a unique interdisciplinary and international research environment. They will produce a paper (serving as the first step towards a publishable journal article) and will get the opportunity to build up contacts for future collaboration within the institute’s worldwide network. Applicants can choose to work with up to two programs.
- Applicants from all countries are welcome to apply for the Young Scientists Summer Program. Although IIASA gives priority to citizens or residents of the National Member Organization (NMO) countries.
- Participation in the YSSP is only possible for one summer (however, you may apply several times); and you will need to be present at the institute (i.e. no fieldwork or working remotely) for the full duration of the program.
|Type of Opportunity||Exchange Programs|